This past week, with it being the first week of October, I was feeling in a Halloween mood so I painted the Grave Minions, originally released as part of the Bones 3 Graveyard Expansion. I didn’t get that expansion but had ordered these guys directly from Reaper once they were released to retail.
Because these were the white original Bones material, I began by giving them all a wash with some thinned Reaper MSP “Grey Liner” to help me see the details. When it was dry, I painted the pants on the lefthand one and the boots on the center one with Americana “Asphaltum”. I then painted the pants of center one and the coat of the righthand with Vallejo “Brown Violet”. After that I did the boots of the lefthand one and the coat of the center one with Ceramcoat “Black”. I also painted the pants of the righthand one with Americana “Light Cinnamon”.
Next, I painted the lining of the lefthand one’s coat with Reaper MSP Bones “Cinnamon Red”, and the coat itself with Crafter’s Acrylic “Navy Blue”. I then painted the lining of the center one’s coat with Crafter’s Acrylic “African Violet”, and the lining and collar of the righthand one’s coat with Accent “Golden Harvest”. After that, I painted the gravestones with Americana Zinc, the tool handles and rope with Americana “Mississippi Mud”, and the metal parts of the tools with Americana “Raw Umber”. I followed that with painting the sack, the skull in it, and the lantern, with Ceramcoat “Territorial Beige”, and then the pumpkin heads with Crafter’s Acrylic “Orange Spice”
I then painted the pumpkin stems with Duncan “Olive”, and then gave the heads a coat of Citadel “Agrax Earthsahde” wash. When that was dry, I gave the rest of the bodies a coat of Citadel “Nuln Oil” wash. After that was dry, I highlighted the pumpkins with, first, a mix of the base “Orange Spice” mixed with a little Americana “Tangerine”, and then just the plain “Tangerine. Next, I painted the insides of the eyes and mouths with Crafter’s Acrylic "Daffodil Yellow”, and then added smaller highlights in the centers with Americana “Snow White”.
I then highlighted the coat lining on the left figure with Reaper MSP “Holy Berry”, and highlighted the coat itself with Americana “True Blue”. Next, I highlighted the pants on the lefthand one with the Territorial Beige" and did the stitching on the coat with Folk Art “Cloudy Day”. After that, I highlighted the coat lining on the center one with Anita’s “Violet”, and highlighted the coat with the “Zinc”. I followed that by highlighting the pants with Duncan “Olive”, and did the stitching with Americana “Grey Sky”. I then moved on to the righthand one, highlighting the coat lining , and collar with the Daffodil Yellow, and the coat with a some of the “Olive” mixed with a little Aleene’s “Dusty Khaki”. The pants I highlighted with Americana “Khaki”, and the stitching I did with the “Dusty Khaki”.
Next, I highlighted the axe and shovel handles with Americana “Fawn”, and highlighted the sack and the rope with Americana “Khaki”. I then highlighted the skull in the sack with, first, Americana “Antique White”, and then a little Americana “Bleached Sand”. After that, I drybrushed the tombstones with some Folk Art Platinum Grey", and then painted the lamp panes with the “Black”, and then the lamp itself with Folk Art “Brushed Metal "Brushed Bronze”. I also, lightly drybrushed the axe head and shovel head with some Folk Art Metallics “Gunmetal Grey”. Lastly, I painted the bases with “Americana "Mississippi Mud”.
I let the figures dry overnight and the next day I gave them a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish. Then, when the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to flock the bases. Another overnight dry, and I sprayed them with Testor’s “Dullcote”.
I really like how this trio turned out! They’re a quirky set of minis, and were fun to paint.
via All Bones About It http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/2019/10/grave-minions-bones-3-figures.html
from Tumblr https://harfordhawks.tumblr.com/post/188191816173