Daily Archives: January 14, 2019

WWII Americans in Greatcoats


I have been painting a bunch of figures in greatcoats lately.  First, they are relatively easy to paint.  Second, they look a little different that other figures on the table.  So I finished two squads of infantry.  The nice this about the Artisan figures is that they come in full squad packs.

One of two squads of infantry I finished. After taking these pictures I put small patches of snow on the bases of one squad and small rocks on the other to distinguish them from the squad I completed some weeks ago. This makes it easier for players to find their squads when the figures get mixed up during a game.

Two bazooka a teams and a machine-gun team from Crusader.

The platoon headquarters with a Konflikt 47 Mudskipper.

For Christmas, a buddy gave me the Konflikt 47 Mudskpper kit from Warlord.  It was fun to assemble and will enable me to run a few “weird war” games.  I’ll bet the Americans wished they had one of these on New Years Even when they were facing the space aliens!

A dwarf with a portable catapult.

When I am painting a batch of like figures, I usually put a handful of random figures on the table at the same time.  Sometimes I just use them as a place to apply leftover paint on the pallets.  This time I had this dwarf and the Lara Croft looking figure on the table, so I finished them at the same time.

Lara Croft, I guess.

from Buck’s Blog http://bucksurdu.com/blog/?p=8383
from Tumblr http://harfordhawks.tumblr.com/post/182018802348

Gutrags, Stitch Golem: Bones 3 Figure

Chris Palmer

   This past week I painted Gutrags, Stitch Golem from the Bones 3 Stoneskull Exxpansion.    I think I’m going to try and complete the Stoneskull Expansion box before Bones 4 arrives.  We’ll see how that goes… 😄
      I painted one of the other Bones 4 Stitch Golems back in October of last year: Lesser Stitch Golem. So I had had then blog entry to guide me in painting this bigger one.
      I prepped the figure in the usual way; soaking it in a dish of water with a couple drops of dish-soap added, then giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush, and then rinsing and drying it.   I then glued the figure to a black-primed 1.5" fender washer with Aleene’s Tacky glue, and then placed the figure in my painting grip.

  I began by giving the figure a wash with Reaper MSP “Brown Liner”; and when that was dry, I started painting by doing the large square of fabric on his belly with Apple Barrel “Lemon Chiffon”.  I then painted some of the textured sections of fabric with Americana “Antique White”, some textured section  with Folk Art “Butter Pecan”, and others with “Sable Brown”

        Next, I tried to finish painting the textured fabric bits, using Folk Art “Barn Wood”, and then Americana “Mississippi Mud”.  I then painted his head with Reaper MSP “Hearth Fire”, sections of his arms and legs with Reaper MSP HD “Rusty Red”.  I also used some Reaper MSP “Christmas Wreath”, and Anita’s “Violet” to help finish the remaining fabric sections.

      I painted the small patch on his back with Crafter’s Acrylic “Storm Cloud Grey, as well as one other small section of fabric I found.  I then painted a tartan pattern on the fabric sections i had painted "Christmas Wreath”, and a little blue flower pattern on the large “Lemon Chiffon” square on his belly.  After that, I painted the buttons an assortment of random colors I had around the table, his claws and needle with Americana Zinc, and his open mouth and belly rip with Ceramcoat “Black”.

          Then, after everything had time to dry, I gave the entire figure a wash with Citadel “Agrax Earthshade” wash.    After the wash was dry, I began highlighting by drybrushing all the brown/tan/beige colored cloth with the “Antique White”, and then did a lighter drybrushing with Americana “Bleached Sand”.   This was followed with highlighting his head with Crafter’s Acrylic “Bright Yellow”.

     Next, I highlighted the flower pattern cloth, as well as some of the lines on the Tartan sections with a little of the “Lemon Chiffon”.  I also highlighted the Tartan sections with some Crafter’s Acrylic “Holiday Green”, and then highlighted the “Rusty Red” sections with some Crafter’s Acrylic “Orange Spice”, and the “Violet” sections with Apple Barrel “Apple Lavender”.  After that, I did the stitching, using both the “Bleached Sand”, and the “Black” in different spots.  I highlighted the buttons a variety of colors I had sitting around, and then painted the claws and needle with Folk Art Metallics “Gunmetal Grey”, and then highlighted them with Ceramcoat “Metallic Silver”.
      Lastly, I painted the figure’s integral base with Americana “Bittersweet Chocolate”.
     I let the figure dry overnight and the next day I gave it a coat of Americana “DuraClear Matte” varnish.    Then, when  the varnish was dry, I used some white glue to flock the base.  Another overnight dry, and I sprayed it with Testor’s Dullcote".

     Well, I’m really pleased with how this fellow came out. I had a fun with all the different fabrics.  I’m looking forward to getting the third (and last) of these Stitch Golems painted up, and then I’ll post a picture of the trio.

via All Bones About It http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com/2019/01/gutrags-stitch-golem-bones-3-figure.html
from Tumblr http://harfordhawks.tumblr.com/post/182002102293