This week I painted up one of the Simba quadruped mech figures that I got from the CAV: SO Kickstarter.
I prepped the figure by soaking all the parts for a few hours in a bowl with a little bit of dish-soap added, and then scrubbed them with a soft toothbrush and let them dry. I then assembled the model with Gorilla Superglue.
I then sprayed the model with Krylon Camouflage with Fusion . This left the model a little tacky, which surprised me as I had used the Krylon Camouflage with Fusion “Flat Black” before without issue. I then glued the model to a steel base. When the glue was dry, I painted some of the conduits on top of the vehicle, and the corrugated panels on the sides with Americana “Neutral Grey”. I then gave the entire piece a wash with GW “Agrax Earthshade” wash using a wet brush.
When the wash was dry, I drybrushed the entire vehicle with Americana “Bleached Sand”. I then painted the bridge windows with Folk Art “Settlers Blue” on the top, and Americana “Raw Umber” on the bottom. Then I added some small White highlights. I painted one of the small sensor/gun tubes on top with “Terra Cotta”. The large gun/sensor I painted the inside of with Nicole’s “Neon Green”, and when dry, gave it a wash with Iron Wind Metals “Dark Green” Ink, thinned with a little water. When this was dry, I mixed a little White with the “Neon Green” and painted the center of the green circle. I painted the open barrels of the other gun/sensors with Black. While I had the Black out, I thinned some and used it to paint the vents running along the back deck.
After the vehicle had overnight to dry, I gave it a coat of Ceramcoat “Matte Varnish” early the next morning. When the varnish was dry, I covered the base with white glue and dunked it in a sand and gravel mixture. When the sand was dry, I painted it with the “Raw Umber”, and then when that was dry, I drybrushed it with Americana “Territorial Beige”, followed by Folk Art “Butter Pecan”, and lastly Americana “Bleached Sand”.
The next day I sprayed the piece with Testor’s Dullcote.
I’m pleased with how this turned out. The paint job was pretty simple, but I think all the sculpted details on the vehicle really help bring it to life.